My passion is helping people transform their health and reach their full potential. I love people and enjoy spending time learning their stories. My goal is to identify the root cause of symptoms, and use the most gentle, natural solutions to bring the body back into balance. I take a holistic, systems biology approach, utilizing the best of modern medical diagnostics/treatments, as well as natural remedies. I am a life-long learner and student of functional medicine, Scripture, neuroscience, medical herbalism, epigenetics and using food as medicine.
My areas of special interest include: optimizing mood and brain function, the gut microbiome, cardiometabolic health, detoxification, thyroid, adrenal and sex hormone balance.
I am incredibly grateful for all the teachers and mentors in my life, past and present including these special people: Melinda Toney, M.D., John Wilson, Jr, M.D., Courtney Cox, CHC, Kevin Wimbish, LMFT, Amy Finkbeiner CLC PCCI, Dr. Fred Lodge, Benita Esposito, LPC, Tieraona Low Dog, M.D., Aviva Romm, M.D., Juliet Blankespoor, Herbalist and all the faculty at the Institute for Functional Medicine. I had the great fortune to study with world renown neuroscientist, Dr. Dale Bredesen, M.D., at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Navato, California and at the Advanced Clinical Training in Treating Mild Cognitive Impairment and Early Alzheimer’s Disease with the Institute for Functional Medicine.
Here’s a brief outline of my formal education, certifications and advanced trainings:
- 2002-2005 Mountain Area Health Education Center affiliated with UNC Chapel Hill at Mission Hospitals, Family Practice Residency in Asheville, NC
- 1998-2002 Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine
- 1994-1998 St. Louis University, B.S. Biology, Summa Cum Laude
- 2018-present Founder of Caring for the Body, PLLC
- 2/2016-2/2019 Staff Physician and Medical Director of the Healthy Brain Rx
Program, Great Smokies Medical Center of Asheville, NC
- 7/2010-3/31/16 Physician Owner/Founder, Private Practice at Life Wellness Center in Blairsville, GA
- 9/2007-2/2012 Family Physician, Private Practice at High Mountain Healthcare in Blairsville, GA
- 8/2005-8/2007 Family Physician, employed by Blue Ridge Community Health
Services a Federally Qualified Health Center in Hendersonville, NC
Licensure and Certifications
2009-present American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine
2007-present Fully Licensed to Practice Medicine in State of Georgia
2005-present American Board of Family Medicine
2003-present Licensed by Drug Enforcement Agency
2003-present Fully Licensed to Practice Medicine in State of North Carolina
- 2019 Hormone Advanced Practice Module – Re-establishing Hormonal Balance in the Hypothalamic, Pituitary, Adrenal, Thyroid, and Gonadal Axis, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2019 Energy Advanced Practice Module – Illuminating the Energy Spectrum: Evidence and Emerging Clinical Solutions for Managing Pain, Fatigue, and Cognitive Dysfunction, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2018 Detox Advanced Practice Module – Understanding Biotransformation and Recognizing Toxicity: Evaluation and Treatment in the Functional Medicine Model, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2018 GI Advanced Practice Module – Restoring Gastrointestinal Equilibrium: Practical Applications for Understanding, Assessing, and Treating Gut Dysfunction, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2018 Immune Advanced Practice Module, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2018 Cardiometabolic Advanced Practice Module, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2017 Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2017 Advanced Clinical Training in Treating Mild Cognitive Impairment and Early Alzheimer’s Disease, Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2017 Medical Ozone, Joint Insufflations with Ozone & Ultraviolet Blood Irradiation, Society of Progressive Medical Education
- 2016 Herbal Intensive Course, Tieraona Low Dog, MD
- 2016 Riordan Clinic Intravenous Vitamin C Academy Certification
- 2016 Integrative Oncology Certificate in Practical Administration of
Mistletoe Therapy, Dr. med. Christfried Preußler, Head of Medical
Science at Helixor in Germany
- 2016 The Bredesen Protocol™ Certified Practitioner, Buck Institute for Research on Aging with Dale Bredesen, M.D.
- 2015-2016 The Essentials of Life Coaching Course, Professional Christian Coaching Institute
- 2015 Fundamentals and Clinical Applications of IV Nutrient Therapies, International IV Nutritional Therapy
- 2014 Herbal Immersion Program, Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine, Asheville, NC
- 2010, 2013 FirstLine Therapy® Certification in Lifestyle Medicine for
Healthcare Providers to Address Metabolic Syndrome
I’m a member of the North Carolina Integrative Medical Society, the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Christian Medical & Dental Associations. I enjoy jogging, hiking, cooking, growing culinary/medicinal herbs and spending time in nature. I live near Asheville, North Carolina in the Appalachian Mountains with my husband and three precious daughters, my greatest teachers. Thank you for taking the time to learn about my work. I would love to help you create a personalized blueprint for healing your brain and body. If you are interested in becoming a new patient, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.